GCSE Physical Education
Why study this course?
GCSE Physical Education is part of the new suite of GCSEs starting in September 2016.
The course builds on the knowledge, understanding and skills established in Key Stage 3 Physical Education. It will give you exciting opportunities to be involved in a number of different sports and physical activities.
What content is covered? [Exam Board: Edexcel]
- Develop theoretical knowledge and understanding of the factors that underpin physical activity and sport to improve performance.
- Understand how the physiological and psychological state affects performance.
- Perform effectively in different physical activities by developing skills and techniques and selecting and using tactics, strategies and/or compositional ideas.
- Develop their ability to analyse and evaluate to improve performance.
- Understand the contribution which physical activity and sport make to health, fitness and well-being.
- Understand key socio-cultural influences which can affect people’s involvement
Is the subject right for me?
If you enjoy:
- Sport and recreation.
- Developing knowledge and understanding through practical involvement.
- Learning about the benefit of sport and exercise.
- Improving your own performance in a range of sports roles.
- If you are considering a sports-related career.
How will I be assessed?
- Two papers - scientific and social 60% exam.
- Practical performance 30% non-examinable assessment.
- Performance analysis 10% non-examinable assessment.
For further information, please contact Mr Wood (Head of PE) at the school.